What is a Bio Centre?
Bio Centres are sanitary blocks that use a biodigester system to treat waste and produce biogas to be used by the community. Local community-based groups build and manage these centres with the support of Umande Trust. However, these bio centres are more than just ablution blocks, sections of the centers are set aside to serve various functions such as office space, schools, residential units and even halls for hire.
What impact do Bio Centres have?
Each bio centre has a slightly different impact on their community, but all work to have significant impacts in the field of Water Sanitation and Hygiene. The have helped to eradicate flying toilets and reduce the amount of open defecation. Disease outbreaks have reduced, and individuals now have greater access to clean water, toilets, and bathrooms. Additionally, the project helps to promote renewable energy in the form of biogas creation as a clean and cheap alternative to the usual wood, charcoal, or kerosene. Finally, employment is created throughout the entire process, from construction to management of the bio centres. This employment has helped build capacity and develop the community.
The 5 Ps of Bio Centres:
- Through partnering with academic institutions, community members, governments, NGOs, CBOs, and donor agencies, Bio Centres create a network of individuals dedicated to better services
- Pricing Models
- Flexible, Affordable, and Universal solutions
- Employment creation, improvement of livelihoods, and the generation of wealth
- Payment Innovations
- Bio centres use a mix of cashless systems through mobile payments on smart phones, allowing for a more efficient governance of resources
- A strong focus on developing a behavior change in the field of hygiene in order to increase the dignity of community members
Where are Umande Bio Centres Located?
Bio centers can be found in many informal settlements across Kenya. Counties covered are highlighted in green below and look at the tabs above to read about many bio centres in a few settlements.